Customization is now a big part of Evil Within 2. Bethesda has explained how a heavier emphasis on player choice determines how you go about surviving.
“The world of The Evil Within 2 is full of possibilities,” says Game Director John Johanas. “With some of the larger stages we’ve created, we’re opening Union up to the players’ wishes and unique playstyles. Through the layout of the world, as well as the crafting and customization systems in the game, we’re providing you with the freedom to take on the challenges in front of you however you choose.”
Customizing the main protagonist Sebastion to your liking does not mean you are an invincible killing machine like other games, but rather giving you an option to how you’ll survive when you descend into the nightmare that await in the game.
Customization for Sebastion and gear now have separate systems. Customization for Sebastian can be broken down into five categories: Health, Stealth, Combat, Recovery, and Athleticism. Upgrades within these skill trees are numerous, but include recovering more health from healing items, reducing reticle sway when firing weapons, and the chance to automatically use a Medical Syringe when taking fatal damage. Some of these abilities are active skills that could make your trip through Union just a hair easier if you’re willing to save up the resources required to unlock them while potentially sacrificing other important passive upgrades.
Upgrades for Sebastian include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Health – Dropping some Green Gel in the Health tree will give you the chance to survive an attack that might have otherwise killed you. This is also how you increase Sebastian’s Life Gauge.
- Stealth – In addition to an increased movement speed while crouching, the Stealth tree can allow you to perform Sneak Kills from around a corner while in cover.
- Combat – If you’re building a more rough-and-tumble Sebastian, the Combat tree will help you increase the damage of your melee attacks and decrease the kickback when firing weapons, among other upgrades.
- Recovery – The Recovery tree is for players who know how tough surviving this nightmare is going to be for Sebastian. Upgrades here include an increased health recovery speed when regenerating from near-death status, and the chance to automatically use a Medical Syringe when taking fatal damage.
- Athleticism – For the Sebastian on the go, the Athleticism upgrade options will let you increase your Stamina Gauge and give you a chance to auto-avoid certain types of incoming attacks.
Evil Within 2 Lets You Craft As If Your Life Depended On It
Resource scavenging might not be that great, but being able to stock up on what you need sure is.
“Our crafting system lets you craft ammunition for the weapons that you like,” says Johanas. “You don’t have to rely solely on what you can scrounge up in the world. Again, it’s that emphasis on letting people play how they want to play. But it all comes back around to how much you explore and how many resources you can track down.”
Items you find can be brought back to a workbench and turned into ammo for your various weapons, as well as healing supplies.
“You can customize your experience to prepare yourself for what’s waiting for you, but there’s danger around every corner in Union,” says Johanas. And key to that danger is the fact that you don’t know what’s lurking around the next corner. “Horror, for me, is always about the sense of mystery you feel, and how you can never fully grasp what’s going on,” Johanas adds. “When you finally get your hands on The Evil Within 2, there’s this deep mystery about the world and about these characters, and especially about Sebastian, that you’ll only really uncover as you go further and take on some of these enemies or go searching through the world. Sebastian has to explore this new world with no knowledge of what’s going on; he just knows he has to save his daughter and that’s really all that matters to him.”
MK is hyped for this game. Are you?